Gardening

Gardening
communtiy garden in Brooklyn

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Baked cod with smashed potatoes and roasted balsamic asparagus



One of the many great things about living on the coast is the abundance of fresh seafood. The fish stand at the farmer's market I go to every week always has a great selection of fresh fish. I grew up eating lake fish, mostly catfish, so I've had to learn to get used to some new types of fish. Skate and hake are two good ones, as is the commonly known cod fish. I paired the fish with smashed potatoes, (yes smashed, not mashed, because I didn't peel them) and roasted asparagus (I know, I know it's not in season!). This meal was inspired by a friend's meal at the Brooklyn Public House a couple weekends ago.

To cook the asparagus, break off the tough ends wherever it breaks easily when pressed. Peel the ends. Steam until tender, shock in ice water (blanch). Toss with olive oil, lemon juice and balsamic vinegar. Season with salt and pepper and roast for about 12 minutes at 350 degrees F.

Bake Cod:
Juice of 1 lemon
sauteed mushrooms
1 T vinegar
drizzle of olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
bake at 350 degrees F
Finishe dwhen fish turns from opaque to white

Smashed potatoes - no directions here..you know what to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment