Gardening

Gardening
communtiy garden in Brooklyn

Friday, February 26, 2010

Vegetable Quiche


Quiche is the perfect weekday dinner. It's simple, you can put whatever you want in it, and it's delicious. I used one of the frozen pie crusts I made a couple days before and thawed it out while I was at work. I used an assortment of vegetables, my favorites are spinach and mushrooms, but I also added caramelized onions and another green leafy vegetable identified at the farmer's market as "spicy mix". The Chinese lady who sells it has yet to give me any more information about it. A quick google search says that spicy mix is some singer in India..wait, what? I'll just go with my instinct and refer to it as a micro green....

I sauteed one small onion in butter, then added fresh spinach and my spicy mix. Cook the greens until wilted, season with salt and pepper. I sauteed my mushrooms separately (in more butter), to make sure they got nice and browned. As Julie said in Julie and Julia, the secret to cooking mushrooms is to give them their space. Also, covering the pan and letting the mushrooms release all of their moisture, and then sauteing a little longer to allow them to brown works nicely too.

For the egg mixture, beat together 4 farm fresh eggs, add 1/2 cup milk or so, 1/2 cup shredded cheese (I used cheddar and pepper jack), salt and pepper, and I added some dried herbs like marjoram and thyme as well. I had a bit of sour cream left too, so I threw that into the mix for good measure.

After forming your pie crust in your pie pan, add your cooked vegetables, then add the egg mixture. Bake at 350 degrees F for about 40 minutes, or until eggs are set.

No comments:

Post a Comment