Gardening

Gardening
communtiy garden in Brooklyn

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Spaghetti alla Puttanesca



Fancy name for a simple pasta dish that roughly translates to "whore spaghetti", or garbage spaghetti. Rumor has it that a chef created it one night at his restaurant because he was running out of food. This can happen at home too, when you want a good meal, but don't want to walk 1 1/2 blocks to the grocery store, or its the end of the week and your farmer's market supply of vegetables has dwindled. Neither was the case last night exactly, I just wanted to make homemade spaghetti with the pasta maker Rob gave me for my birthday last summer and I had some olives. There are only a few ingredients to make the sauce:

A couple of cloves of garlic, minced
Olives, diced
Anchovies ( I actually didn't use them last night, but I have before)
Fresh tomatoes (Used canned whole tomatoes last night instead, it is February after all)
Salt and pepper to taste
You can also add capers and chili peppers if you'd like. I used one small onion as well.

Saute garlic and onions in olive oil. Add your tomatoes and simmer for about 20 minutes. I used canned whole tomatoes, so I broke the tomatoes up with a wooden spoon. Add olives and anchovies if using. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Dish will already be pretty salty from the olives and anchovies. Serve over spaghetti cooked al dente and enjoy!



It's a quick and tasty sauce to make, best served over homemade spaghetti!

2 comments: