Gardening

Gardening
communtiy garden in Brooklyn

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

What's in season in February? Cabbage!!



Cabbage is actually a year round vegetable, but during the winter months when the farmer's market is pretty bare besides potatoes, onions and carrots, cabbage is nice a perk to find. I bought one cabbage for $3 at the market and so far I've used it to make cold noodles with peanut sauce, cole slaw, and stir fry and I still have over half it left! That thing was huge!

The recipe I used for the cold noodles with peanut sauce, pictured here came from the Insitute of Culinary Excellence (ICE) in Manhattan. Last summer I got to attend a 2 day workshop, it was just like being back in culinary school! The peanut sauce is very simple to make and you can use whatever vegetables are in season at the time. I only used cabbage and carrots, but during the summer, cucumbers, red peppers and zucchini are great additions.

Peanut sauce:
1 cup peanut butter
2 garlic cloves
1 jalapeno - seeds discarded (I used dried red pepper flakes instead)
1/4 cup lime juice
1/4 cup lemon juice (I used orange juice instead, it's what I had on hand!)
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

For the spaghetti and vegetables:
1 pound spaghetti (I used the leftover from what I made from scratch yesterday)
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 large carrot - peeled and cut julienne
2 cucumbers - peeled and cut julienne
1 red pepper, seeded and cut julienne
1 medium zucchini - cut julienne
1 small head white cabbage - shredded or sliced very thin (I sent mine through the food processor)
6 scallions - roots trimmed and discarded (I omitted the scallions and through in cilantro instead, do you what you like!

Cook the spaghetti, rinse under cold water to cool, and drain. Toss the spaghetti in 2 T. oil. Toss the spaghetti with whatever vegetables you decides to use.

To make the peanut sauce, place all ingredients in a food processor or blender, and process till smooth. Add water if it's too thick.

Toss spaghetti and vegetables with the peanut sauce to coat. Serve room temperature or cold.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment