Gardening

Gardening
communtiy garden in Brooklyn

Monday, February 22, 2010

Blackbean and sweet potato chili


Nothing beats coming home and smelling chili that's been simmering in the crockpot all day! I like to use dried bean (more bange for your buck) that I soak overnight, then add it to my crockpot in the morning to simmer with tomatoes, peppers, onions, spices and this time sweet potatoes! I used sweet potatoes to give the chili more substance, especially because I didn't use any fresh peppers (it's February people!).

1/4 pound dried black beans, rinsed, sorted, and soaked
1/4 pound dried kidney beans, rinsed, sorted, and soaked
1 medium onion, diced
1 medium sweet potato, diced (I don't even peel it, that's where all your nutrients are!)
2 cans organic diced tomatoes with green chilis
2 garlic cloves, minced
cumin
chili powder
salt and pepper
garlic and onion powder

Simply saute garlic and onion until soft, combine it with the rest of the ingredients, season to taste and let the crock pot work its magic! I always rinse out the canned tomatoes and add the water to the pot. A dollop of daisy make it even better!

1 comment:

  1. I tried this recipe today and it's simply delicious, thanks so much!
    xo Marian

    ReplyDelete